As our third day of the trip was devoted to non-War of 1812 tourism, we will skip that for the time being and come back to it and many other sites we visited after covering the battles, forts, and other sites pertaining the war in Ontario. So, in this installment we move west a bit . . . to the town of Kingston. We had no previous notion of what to expect of Kingston and were pleasantly surprised at how scenic (at least the downtown area) Kingston is. Oddly enough, much of that ambiance is due to the fortifications that had been built to defend the area from American encroachment. Let's just say this threat lasted far longer than the end of the War of 1812.
"Fifty-Four Forty or Fight"). The first one we visited was the Murney Tower built in 1846. It now houses a museum and is a National Historic Site of Canada.
caponiers in the Murney Tower. These structures jut out at the base of the Martello and allowed for the added protection of enfilade fire.
The 32-pounder cannon on a 360 degree rotating carriage located on the top level . . . originally there would not have been a roof.
I doubt Dudeboy would have made much of a Powder monkey. Monkey, yes. Powder monkey, no.
Fort Frederick Tower at Fort Frederick. The original fort was built 1812/13 in response to US naval threats on Lake Ontario. That blockhouse was destroyed in 1846 and replaced with this massive 3-story Martello.
The caponiers are easily seen in this photo.
"Pieces of rib from the HMS St. Lawrence." According to this pdf, the St Lawrence was "the largest warship ever built on the Great Lakes during the age of sail," and "She was the only Royal Navy ship-of-the-line ever to be launched and operated entirely in fresh water."
detailed view/tour/history of the fort, take the time to view the info at the official website.
At Fort Henry with two of the Martellos in the background.
Fort Henry West Branch Tower and Cathcart Tower on Cedar Island in the background. Both are closed to the public. Fort Henry West Branch Tower and Fort Henry East Branch Towers are both part of Fort Henry. Many sources do not list these as Martellos as they are considered a part of the fort as a whole.
Shoal Tower is located downtown right in Kingston's harbor. It is also closed to the public.