Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy Darwin Day 2013

Happy Darwin Day 2013 . . . our cookie this year represents an illustration from Darwin's monograph on how coral reefs are formed.  Many do not realize that Darwin was also a noted geologist* and that the speculation about the formation of coral reefs was very contested.  It was not until the 1980's or so (with deep sea drilling) that Darwin's theory was finally proven correct.  The man was amazing.  Happy Birthday Charles Darwin . . . and Old Abe as well!
*opens a pdf file.



3 comments:

Adam said...

it should be a national holiday

Merkin J. Pus-Tart said...

It will never happen in my lifetime . . .

Aunt Pee said...

I agree. Mr. Neggie Pus, I never thought I'd lose my legs in my lifetime and look what happened - dreams do come true.
Pee