Monday, February 18, 2013

Fort Donelson and Dover

This past weekend, Dudeboy and I joined the 9th Ky for our annual encampment at Fort Donelson (which is generally held around the anniversary of the battle).  Despite the temperature falling to 16°F Saturday night, fun was had by all.  The above photo is from the 9th Ky. website.  And I should add, any other of the photos with me in them were taken by Dudeboy.  

The ranger's program this year focused on the little known (or at least neglected) Battle of Dover, which was fought in that nearby town on February 3, 1863.  It was here that Forrest severed his ties to Joseph Wheeler vowing "I will be in my coffin before I will fight again under your command."

In keeping with the program, we were deployed as skirmishers.  This is the first time I have participated in a skirmish line.  I must admit, I liked it better than the normal drilling we do for the spectators.

 Courier Dudeboy out with an early morning patrol . . .

We also got to participate in a three volley salute at a memorial service at the Fort Donelson National Cemetery.

Winter camp at night . . . no, we didn't get to sleep in the cabin.  We braved the cold in our a-frame canvas tent.

No comments: