Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Pirate's Life For Me

August 27 was one of the best days of my life. We went to the Frazier Museum for a homeschool day centered around their exhibit: “Pirates: Treasure and Treachery.” In the exhibit there was pirate treasure and relics from sunken Spanish ships like La Concepción which lost its mast and rudder in a hurricane and drifted onto Silver Bank, a coral reef. (They had to pile up silver onto the coral reef so they wouldn’t cut their feet on the coral). There was a treasure hunter, Rudy Lewis, who helped find Spanish and pirate treasure (some of which was in the exhibit). He let us hold a real pirate cup and pewter plate, minie balls and real Spanish coins. He gave me a very good replica of a Spanish coin. In the workshops, I got to build a pirate ship, design a pirate flag, and learn sword fighting techniques.

Then to top it all off, we went to the fair which we’ve already shown pictures from. Even though I didn’t get to ride on any rides at the fair, I got to go to Beech Bend this weekend and that was a great day, too.



Training the next Captain Edward "Ned" Low.


Spanish coins from the Concepción . . .


Some pirate probably licked this plate!


Treasure hunters . . . Rudy Lewis and Dude Boy.

1 comment:

Aunt Pee & Uncle Charlie Dog said...

Hey Little Dude, can I my day job for yours? You're having way too much fun learning.